Arkansas Paralegal Alliance, Inc. (formerly Arkansas Association of Legal Assistants, Inc.) is a professional
association of approximately 50 paralegals from around the State of Arkansas. The organization was established
in September 1983 as Arkansas Association of Legal Assistants. In May 2008, the name was changed because the
term "paralegal" more accurately reflects the substantive nature of our members' responsibilities in rendering legal services - while under the supervision of an attorney - and clearly distinguishes our profession from other
law office personnel.
The organization is nonsectarian, non-partisan, and nonprofit, and is an affiliate of the National Association of Legal Assistants, Inc. ("NALA"). The primary goals and purposes of the Arkansas Paralegal Alliance are:
- To establish good fellowship among association members, the National Association of Legal Assistants, Inc., and members of the legal community including, but not limited to the exchange of experience, opinions and information through discussion, study and publications.
- To develop, encourage, support and maintain high standards for the conduct and ethics of paralegals.
- To further educate its members for the advancement and improvement of the legal profession.
- To cooperate with bar associations, and to encourage the efficient utilization of paralegals by educating attorneys about the proper and appropriate role of a paralegal in a law firm, any business, or corporate environment.
- To encourage the establishment of an American Bar Association approved paralegal training program in the State of Arkansas.
- To support and carry out the programs, purposes, aims, and goals of the National Association of Legal Assistants, Inc.
Benefits of membership in the Arkansas Paralegal Alliance include seminars that qualify for NALA/CLE credit,
annual CLA/CP study group sessions taught by CLAs/CPs; quarterly newsletter, the Writ of Assistants,
covering organization activities, issues of national and statewide issues and informative articles; the opportunity
to network locally, statewide, and nationally with other members of the paralegal profession.
Arkansas Paralegal Alliance, Inc. is governed by Amended and Restated By-Laws
as amended in May 2012 and Amended Standing Rules
as amended in September 2012.